Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward.
Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Monday 16 April 2012

Love cycling... pure fun

My previous experience cycling had been 11 years ago, as a young and enthusiastic student living in Nottingham, doing a masters and enjoying life. Years have gone by, time has been relatively fair with me, but my energy is not the same. Still, my enthusiasm takes me back to the streets, this time with my kids, riding miles around the beautiful and quiet city of York. We had a rather weird day today. Left home with a semi-cloudy sky, chilly wind but still inviting for a nice family ride. After a while, feeling a bit exhausted, we decided to ride back and a hailstorm got us by surprise in the middle of an overpass... my older boy later told me "I though we were going to die mom, it was really hard". I wish I had had my camera with me, it was totally unexpected!!! I was still wearing my sunglasses when the hail hit us. Anyway, it just lasted for a few minutes, then we were back on trak, but my baby boy fell asleep on his seat behind me. We stopped for a few minutes, fit him comfortably and had a Kit Kat to get some energy. Ready to carry on and have our picnic, we headed north and then crossed the river and back south. We ended up in a Mall, a Designers' Outlet. We walked in, needed a warm place for a few minutes. I felt back home, on a typical Sunday stroll around the stores, and I realize how boring it is! I was really surprised about my reaction, I mean, back home I would have "begged" for a Sunday in the Mall, but now?... who cares? Well, I must also say I don't have the money to go shopping in any of the stores there... Hugo Boss, Ralph Laurent, Escada, Armani...
Anyway, the day was just perfect, we had a bit of everything. I also used my riding time to talk to those I don't talk to anymore, because they are away or gone... it feels good to "tell them" things that I didn't say face to face... it's a way to let go, my own therapy... I also had the opportunity to realize how wonderful nature is, how strong my body is, how fun cycling is... and the beauty of going anywhere with just grabbing the handlebar and pushing hard those pedals, to the point you feel your legs burning.... feel alive.

No comments: